Many of the building materials for homes provide proper nutrients for mold that helps it grow. Such materials include paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood and wood products, dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery. At All Jersey Home Inspection, we offer a variety of services, and our mold inspection will pinpoint where any excessive mold problems exist. Also, we can help you determine your next step.
The Importance of Mold in the Real Estate Market Today
Much has been made of indoor mold in advertising and the media, so it’s a common concern for homeowners and buyers. It’s actually common to find mold in new and old homes alike. Whether you’re selling your current home or looking into buying one, it’s vital to get a mold inspection. Presence of active mold can drastically affect the resale value of any home.
For homeowners, a mold inspection will either put your mind at rest or make you aware of any problems that could otherwise cause delays once you’ve entered into negotiations with a buyer. Our professional mold inspection includes a signed report from an expert that you can have in your hand before you put the home up for sale. Being able to show a “clean bill of health” to potential buyers that express concerns will show thoroughness and commitment to your home.
For buyers, getting a mold inspection will ensure that you’re not surprised by costly clean up and the potential health hazards of mold. If any mold is found to be present and active in the home, our mold inspection will allow you to ask the seller to do the cleanup prior to buying the home.
Exposure to Mold
Everyone is exposed to some amount of mold on a daily basis, most without any apparent reaction. Generally mold spores can cause problems when they are present in large numbers and a person inhales excessive quantities of them. This occurs primarily when there is active mold growth.
For some people, a small exposure to mold spores can trigger an asthma attack or lead to other health problems. For others, symptoms may only occur when exposure levels are much higher.
The health effects of mold can vary. The production of allergens or irritants can cause mild allergic reactions and asthma attacks. The production of potentially toxic mycotoxins, however, can cause more severe reactions, and in rare cases death.
Should I Be Concerned About Mold In My Home?
Yes. If indoor mold is extensive, those in your home can be exposed to very high and persistent airborne mold spores. It’s possible to become sensitized to these mold spores and develop allergies or other health concerns, even if one is not normally sensitive to mold. Left unchecked, mold growth can cause structural damage to your home as well as permanent damage to furnishings and carpet.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, “It is not necessary, however, to determine what type of mold you may have. All molds should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal.”
Can My Home be Tested for Mold?
Yes. We offer thorough mold inspections that involve visual examinations of the most likely areas to harbor mold. We also take air samples indoors and out to determine whether the number of spores inside your home is significantly higher. If the indoor level is higher, it could mean that mold is growing inside your home.
How do I remove mold from my home?
First address the source of moisture that is allowing the mold to grow, then take steps to clean up the contamination. Here are helpful links to learn more about cleaning up mold in your home.